Updated October 13, 2013
Getting to Know You
We collect and store a variety of information you submit to Nightlight Learning or give us in the other ways described below. Some is personal information and some isn't.
- What Is "Personally Identifiable Information" (or PII)? Information that identifies you, such as your name or email address, or that can be used to identify you when combined with other information, is "personally identifiable information."
- When Do We Ask for PII?
- If you choose to register to use the Site, we may collect your name, email address, and location (country, state/province, and zip/postal code) during the registration process.
- Nightlight Learning may ask you for other PII from time to time, such as contact information (like your email address, and phone number), or demographic information (like your zip/postal code or region, hometown, gender, or education level). We may ask for this information from you in order for you to use the Site beyond just browsing, or for the purposes disclosed to you at the time such other PII is collected.
- What Isn't Personal Information? Information we can gather from your visit that doesn't identify you personally, like your IP address, your operating system, your browser type and language, the date and time of your visit, as well as information about your ISP, referring URL, the search term that led you to the Site, your geographic region, the type of content you view, etc. We may do this by assigning your computer one or more cookies which may collect information about how you use Nightlight Learning; we may use standard Internet tools, such web beacons or cookies, which collect non-PII and track your use of our website.
- Do I Have A Choice? While you're not required to provide PII to visit the Site, product usage, or other cool features we may develop may not be available to you if you choose not to create an account with us or, at other times, not to provide requested information.
How We Use What We Know
- How Do We Use PII? We use the PII we request at registration in order to provide you with the services offered on the Site. There are some circumstances when we will share PII with trusted third party business partners, which may include:
- Our trusted service providers working on our behalf to deliver services. They may be building technological infrastructure related to Nightlight Learning and the delivery of it's services, or sending emails related to the Site or your account. These service providers do not have any independent right to share this information;
- With other companies within our corporate family; and
- Nightlight Learning may disclose your PII: (a) when we are legally required to do so; (b) to protect the interests or safety of Nightlight Learning or Site users; (c) to another company if we are bought, or if we discontinue operations.
- How Do We Use Your Email Address? Nightlight Learning will use your email address to contact you to manage your account. We may use this email to inform you of new promotions or services Nightlight Learning is offering.
- What If I Don't Want Email From Nightlight Learning? When we do send an email regarding new promotions or services, we will include an options to "unsubscribe," or otherwise remove yourself from the list of those receiving these kinds of emails.
- Do We Use Analytics Companies? We may provide some non-personal information to others who help us understand how you use the Site.
- How Can I Opt-Out of Having Non-PII Shared? You may choose to opt-out from allowing Nightlight Learning to provide non-PII to certain partners. Visit networkadvertising.org, aboutads.info, rhythmnewmedia.com, and jumptap.com to make informed decisions about your online and mobile privacy and to opt-out of sharing your non-PII.
Going Public and Being Social
There are some things you may choose to do on or by accessing the Site which may be public. Here are some examples:
- Public Comments. Your comments may be seen by others. If you submit any personal or PII in a comment, other people who visit the Site may see it.
- Connecting With Social Media. If you connect with Nightlight Learning through third-party social networking sites, such as Facebook, or third-party social media plug-ins and applications, that PII may be publicly viewed and may possibly be used by other members of these sites.
Is There Anything Else I Need to Know?
- 14 and Up. If you are under the age of 14, we're sorry, but you can't register at the Site. On the bright side, Nightlight Learning will never knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 14. If a child under 14 has provided us with personal information, his or her parent or guardian may contact us for the purpose of deleting this information.
While Nightlight Learning has security measures to help protect the information under our control, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
- Nightlight Learning tries to protect your personal information and ensure the security of your communications on our systems, by maintaining physical, organizational and technological safeguards (appropriate to the sensitivity of such information) designed to protect it against unauthorized use, disclosure or access of the personal information we collect on this Site. However, we cannot ensure or warrant that any information you transmit to us will stay safe and secure and you do so at your own risk.
- Your information may be stored in whole or in part on equipment or in facilities leased or licensed from others. Although Nightlight Learning tries to keep your information safe, it relies on the statements of those vendors regarding the safety and security of their storage equipment and services as part of its evaluation. By using the Site, you agree that Nightlight Learning is not responsible if the storage equipment and services provided by others aren't working like they are supposed to, and that you will have to seek any remedies from those providers, not Nightlight Learning.
Retention and Deletion
We keep your personal information only so long as we need it for the purposes for which it was collected, for the products and services that you are using, or to meet any legal requirements. We have retention standards, which meet these requirements. We destroy your personal information when it is no longer needed.
- see personal information that you have already sent us so that you can correct or update it, or delete your personal information from our files;
- if your child under 14 has sent us personal information, delete that personal information from our files;
- ask that we not send you mailings or otherwise contact you; or
You can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.